Multi-Layer Onion Pancake
This is very popular in my hometown. You can enjoy it as part of a meal or as a snack.
2 cups all-purpose flour 2/3 cup boiling water 1/3 cup cold water 1/3 cup oil, divided 1/8 tsp black pepper 2-3 tbsp green onions, chopped 1/2 tsp salt (optional)
1. Mix flour with boiling water with a fork or chopsticks in a mixing bowl.
2. Add cold water little by little. When it's not too hot to handle, knead it into a soft dough. Knead for a few minutes until dough is smooth.
3. Cover with plastic wrap and let it rest for 20-30 minutes.
4. Roll dough into a thin round or square pie with a rolling pin. Brush the top of the round pie with oil.
5. Sprinkle black pepper, green onions and salt evenly over it. Lift one side and roll it into a rope. Then cut it into four even parts.
6. Take one part and pinch to close ends into circular shape.
7. Press it down and roll it into a small round pie, about 5-6 inches in diameter.
Repeat with the other three pieces. Now onion pancakes are ready to cook.
8. Add oil to cover the bottom of your skillet, place onion pancake in the pan, one piece at a time, single layer.
Pan fry them until the pancake turns golden brown, then turn it over and fry the other side until golden brown.
Serve with stir fry or snack.