3 cups glutinous rice
1 cup mixed dried fruit (dates, raisins, craisins, dried pineapple, mango, etc.)
30 dried bamboo leaves
Sugar for dipping, or drizzle Ying’s Sweet & Sour Sauce
1. Soak glutinous rice in cold water for at least 4 hours.
2. Meanwhile, boil dried bamboo leaves in 5-6 quart water for 5 minutes and rinse in cold water. At the same time, cut cooking string into 18-inch lengths.
3. Once boiled and rinsed, stack two pieces of bamboo leaves and make a funnel shape as shown. Place about 1 tablespoon rice in the funnel, then add a few pieces dried fruit, add a thin layer of rice and a few more pieces of dried fruit. Cover with another layer of rice (there is about 3 tablespoons of rice total in the funnel).
4. With one hand holding the funnel, fold the sides to cover the rice with the other hand.
Then fold the end in tightly and tie with a piece of cooking string . Repeat the same with the rest.
5. Cook the Zhong Zi in 6 quart water for 2 hours. Let them cool in water.
6. When they are completely cool, unwrap and place the Zhong Zi in a bowl, add sugar or drizzle the sauce.
Enjoy this special Chinese traditional treat!